La phimosis es one of the most common diseases that can occur in the penis a manAlthough it usually occurs mostly in children, of which 95% at a very young age usually suffer from this disease, it can appear for various causes in people of any age. Despite what many people believe, it has a solution in all cases and although the healing is usually painful and tedious, it ends up being overcome with time.
If you want to know information about this problem, the symptoms it has, the problems it can cause and some advice for the treatment, take out a pencil and paper, you will need it to write down many of the things that we are going to tell you and explain throughout this article.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is phimosis?
- 2 Why does phimosis appear on a man's penis?
- 3 These are the main symptoms of phimosis
- 4 Types of phimosis
- 5 Degrees of phimosis
- 6 What treatments are there for phimosis?
- 7 Possible complications of phimosis
- 8 Expectations of overcoming phimosis
What is phimosis?
Before we tell you how to detect that you suffer from phimosis and how you should proceed to try to solve this problem, you must know what phimosis is clearly and clearly.
Technically speaking we are facing an irregularity in the skin that covers the terminal part of the penis, known as the foreskin. This skin at the end of the male sexual organ is too narrow, which does not allow the glans to be revealed, sometimes completely and sometimes partially. This phenomenon can occur both with the erect penis and in a relaxed state.
One of the most common confusions is to believe that you have a phimosis, when in reality you simply have a short frenulum. In case of doubt or to detect some of these two problems, it is essential to go to a specialist to identify our disease and prescribe an appropriate treatment.
Why does phimosis appear on a man's penis?
It is going to sound very strange but all newborns, male of course, suffer from a physiological phimosis which in most cases resolves without any intervention or treatment. A small group will need a treatment with which they will be able to overcome it without too many problems or complications.
Technically, phimosis appears because of what has already been explained above, that is, because of the irregularities in the skin overlying the foreskin. Unfortunately there is no concrete explanation for the appearance of phimosis.
These are the main symptoms of phimosis
Phimosis in most cases presents the following symptoms in most patients;
- The glans of our penis does not show partially or completely. When trying to discover it, the pains are usually intense
- Pain when urinating The stream of urine is fine and will be deflected in most cases. In addition, it is possible that the foreskin becomes inflamed when urinating. Keep a close eye on these possible symptoms because they are usually one of the most common
- Pain during erections which can become quite intense in some cases, sometimes preventing us from performing full sexual intercourse
- Frequent swellings of the glans and foreskin that can once again cause intense pain
- Whitish residue can frequently appear on the glans that are the reason for a defective intimate hygiene as a consequence of the impossibility of removing the foreskin. Give them the necessary importance, because sometimes they can be due to other things and not to a phimosis as such
In the event that you have several of the aforementioned symptoms, it is best that you go as soon as possible to have a specialist perform an examination of the area and can solve your problems as soon as possible. If you put your problem aside, it may be that after a few days or a few weeks everything will have become more complicated.
Types of phimosis
It is not usually something that we are used to being informed about, but there are two different types of phimosis
We have already talked about this type of phimosis at the beginning of this article, and It is the one that occurs in babies at birth. As the days go by, the newborn's foreskin will gain elasticity and will widen until it can be moved back without any problem. If the problem persists over the years, we will be talking about another type of phimosis and not a pathological one.
This type of phimosis is very rare, but can occur in men of any age due to infections or wounds that form new tissue that after healing do not allow to discover the glans in a totally normal way. In case of having this problem, it will be essential to go to the doctor to diagnose us and prescribe a treatment.
Degrees of phimosis
Again, a man can have phimosis, but just as it can be of one type or another, it can also be of one degree to another. These degrees range from V in which we can discover the glans perfectly, to I in which the glans is not discovered in any way.
Below we show and explain the different degrees of existing phimosis;
- GRADE I: punctate, the foreskin cannot be retracted at all, the glans is not visible in any case
- Grade II: punctate, the foreskin can be minimally retracted, the urinary meatus can be seen
- Grade III: the foreskin can be retracted to the middle of the glans
- Grade IV: the foreskin can be retracted to just above the crown of the glans
- Grade V: there would be a complete retraction except that a phimotic ring can be seen
What treatments are there for phimosis?
Depending on the type and degree of phimosis that we suffer, the treatment will be one or the other, and in all cases it must be prescribed by a doctor. Diagnosing and treating yourself any type and degree of phimosis can be nonsense, which can also be very, very painful.
- Corticosteroid treatment. This type of treatment is indicated for children 3 years and older. In most cases they are creams with which we will be able to gradually separate the skin of the foreskin from the glans, giving the skin of the penis greater elasticity. In most cases, this treatment is successful, although if the objective is not achieved, we will have to go back to the specialist to be diagnosed again and to prescribe a new treatment.
- Surgical treatment. It is the so-called circumcision that is practiced in adults and children, generally with local anesthesia. It consists of the removal of the part of the foreskin that prevents the glans from being completely exposed. If no complications arise, which should not arise, this is a fairly simple clinical intervention.
Possible complications of phimosis
Phimosis in some cases can lead to some complications. These can be serious in some cases, but mostly painful in most cases.
Here are the most common complications that can arise from phimosis;
- Perhaps the most common and serious complication is paraphimosis, which consists of an inflammation of the glans when the foreskin has retracted to the base of it and cannot return in any way to, say, its normal position
- Urine infection. By not being able to access the area for proper cleaning, an infection of this type can occur
- Increased chances of contracting a sexually transmitted disease
- The possibilities of suffer from penile cancer increase
- Possible discomfort when having sexual intercourse as the glans cannot be fully discovered
- Balanitis as a consequence of the lack of proper hygiene, causing swelling and redness of the glans and foreskin
There are a few more complications that can occur from phimosis, but in most cases they are not very common so we have decided to skip them.
Expectations of overcoming phimosis
Phimosis It is a disease, as we have already said, quite common in men, and that is overcome in most cases in a simple and fast way, although sometimes that does with some pain and having to avoid some more than usual practices. In the event that it is detected late, it can cause us some more complication, but in most cases it will be possible to lead a totally normal life very quickly.
Our recommendation to have high expectations of cure without too many complications that at the same moment in which you detect, either in your child or in yourself, some of the most common symptoms of phimosis you go to a specialist doctor for a exploration of the area and can make decisions without it being too late. In most cases, a phimosis is complicated when you try to solve it yourself by reading absurd articles that exist by the hundreds on the network of networks or trying to hide, something that will never make things go for the better.
Ready to face phimosis informed and prepared?.