Addictions present themselves in different ways due to substance dependence, unsatisfied activities or relationships. Before, this submission could be addressed by the consumption of drugs, tobacco, alcohol and gambling, but there are many factors that can lead to this emotional illness.
Overcoming addictions falls into a great challenge, although all external help implies a fairly effective discipline. You have to make the effort to recognize your situation and position your state trying to make that change. As a result, with time and effort you will end up entering that spiral and that will be valued as a great personal effort.
Table of Contents
Definition and type of addictions
Addiction is a physical and psycho-emotional disease where a dependence on substances is created, some type of activity or relationship with someone. All this leads the person to compulsively immerse themselves in consumption or activity that is going to cause pleasure, without becoming aware that in the long run it will drag you into self-destructive behavior.
This person over time may be a consequence of his addiction, But it will be difficult for you to get rid of that dependency and it will surely have already caused some deterioration in your health, your social and work life.
There are innumerable addictions that can occur, although here we collect the most common:
- Chemical Intake Addictions: Alcohol, tobacco, drugs such as cocaine, heroin, cannabis, sedatives, amphetamines ...
- Intake addictions like food producing behaviors such as anorexia, bulimia or binge eating, for sweets ...
- Behavioral addictions: such as gambling, sex, work, dependence on technologies such as the internet, mobile dependent consumption, to feel constant attachment to relationships, to sects, to a relationship ...
What consequences lead to an addiction
There are several symptoms that can be observed to predict an addiction. Many times they appear little by little and jointly or even their addictive progress can vary in intensity, which can normally be on the rise.
- As a first symptom we can observe a loss of control over its use.
- All the interests and daily activities will diminish. More and more time and energy is being invested in such addictive behavior.
- A friendly and family harm will come to be created in the environmentr, even your own personal image may be damaged.
- Addictions are usually recognized by the person, but it is always answered with a neutral negative since it justifies it with its own conduct. That will always lead to a spiral of consumption without being able to get out of it.
- The person comes to have trouble controlling your emotions and even has difficulty interpreting feelings towards others. That is why it presents problems at school, at work, in the family and interpersonal environment.
How to overcome addictions
This problem is usually seen as a chronic consequence. We must resort to treatments with cognitive-behavioral techniques, so that the person learns to control his impulses since it is an uncontrollable desire of his thoughts.
- Assess the problem and admit you have it, it is from here when you can decide that you need to make that change. You have to accept reality and become aware that you have an addiction, otherwise you cannot try to achieve an improvement.
- You have to maintain good optimism. Goodwill and the correct push to face the problem greatly cuts the results, you have to think that you have not gone crazy and always try to have an open mind. Analyze what has generated this pathology, perhaps it will help you better understand your personal situation.
- Talk about your problem and seek support. Normally, those who suffer from an addiction become withdrawn because they develop a feeling of loneliness and misunderstanding, that is why you have to open up to seek support. If there is no one around you, such as family or friends, seek professional help.
- Join a support group, it is one of the most feasible solutions. Look for these types of groups and you will see that you are not alone, it is trying to observe that many people are in the same situation as you. You will learn to listen and share your experience, you will feel protection and the advice they can give you will also help you.
- Follow all the guidelines that have been described for you. If you have gone to any group therapy or to a professional, try to follow the therapeutic recommendations, even if they seem illogical. It is not about following everything to the letter but you can, but following a routine to all these changes, surely they will be very useful.
- Must learn to avoid all the situations that provoke the desire to consume. You have to design strategies to avoid it, for this create positive moments that may be feasible for your health.
- Psychological treatments at the hands of a professional are fine, but there are also Techniques of clinical hypnosis, where the unconscious factors that trigger to have that addiction will work.